Saturday, February 9, 2013

I sleep good and I miss a lot of trains



Unbelievably, sitting on the shore of Lake Ponchatrain an hour now. I can actually see the city. We're waiting for freight traffic which is what always happens on Amtrak--the freight companies own the tracks so you're entirely at their mercy. It is tough to believe we could not have slipped through in the last hour but it's an unquestionable authority at two removes, which is to say our conductor might actually know right now that the answer is that we will next move in seven more hours, but has no incentive to tell us that. 

I missed Laurel which is fine. I fell asleep listening to Explosions in the Sky, a Texas band a friend mentioned on fb. They did the theme for Friday Night Lights. I loaded up a bunch of new music for my various rides and, hooray, it's all good so far. 

We sat somewhere in Mississippi for a while refueling. I think we're 11 hours late now. They are currently offering people 50 cents worth of coffee for free to make up for it. Luckily for me I don't really drink coffee so I don't have to trade in/relinquish my pique. 

Last night I sat for an hour or two in the cafe car with the other weary travelers. It's rare you meet anyone much on your wavelength on these things, or it is for me. I did once meet a lovely fellow, a folk-singer from California, who is currently cat- and house-sitting for me for this three week lunacy. 

H, with whom I am staying, is already awake. He has given instruction on how to pronounce Chartres and Rampart so as not to be taken for a rube by taxi drivers. 

Oh hey now there's a truck stuck on the track or something and they're waiting for it to be towed. I am maybe going back to sleep for a few. I'll be surprised if I'm at H's by sun-up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment