Saturday, February 9, 2013

Not every town has streets named for muses

Indeed I did not get to H's until 8 something. There were almost no cabs and a long line, and an enterprising cab driver packed three parties in at $7 a head. I was brusque with the guy in a way I didn't have in me before living in NYC and always hope will melt away when I'm elsewhere. 

H had beignets on the table for my arrival!

New Orleans reminds me of Philadelphia but this can't be right. I think it has to do with having spent a number of happy New Yearses in Philadelphia and watched the Mummers parade the next day, the same kind of shaggy, shabby eccentricity as Mardi Gras from my glimpses so far. Philadelphia probably lacks the ongoing sense of decadence, right? All other obvious regional differences notwithstanding. Um, it's a stupid comparison. 

The architecture is wonderful in a way a person who spends no time at all thinking about architecture (hi!) can appreciate. 

It's near 70 degrees and some knot of rage is getting unworked. 

My goal for tonight is to consume alcohol while walking down the street. It's just so stupid that you can't do this anywhere. 

Went to lunch in the garden district with H's interesting friend and walked back here to the edge of the Quarter. I think tonight H is indulging my irrational need to eat at Galatoire's, after we take in a bit of Endymion's parade right around the corner. Their Grand Marshal is Kelly Clarkson, who I somewhat secretly like. 

H is asleep and I'm going for a walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment