Sunday, February 17, 2013

Keep Austin something



I used to hate this drive a whole lot, Dallas<->Austin. I made a point of never figuring out whether Waco was closer to Dallas or Austin because then I could say to myself "I think it's actually a little more than halfway" whichever way I was going. Later on I would do Chicago<->Lexington and learn what a boring drive actually looks like. 

Of course these days I like it better also because it's a bigger deal to be between those two cities. 

There were things I liked to see along the way, anyway. The big truck billboard at Carl's Corner. Signs for West and Waxahachie which had associations with the past, albeit superficial ones. 

It's a good drive for my particular brand of escape fantasies--the ones that really rescue me in certain moods are the ones about moving to a terrible little town where I don't know anyone but where you can maybe buy a house for $40k and not do much of anything ever again. 

Pardon the gap in blogging, if you're reading. I got to Austin, had a few too many with one old crowd, and then D was down here for two days and it was a mad, gay whirl and all that. Maybe I'll write about that tonight. I'm suddenly halfway through my trip, and suddenly only halfway through my trip, and a little anxious now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment